Laboratory AnalystBernard Castle County DurhamAre you an experienced Laboratory Analyst or a recent Chemistry graduate? Would you like to work for a leading pharmaceutical company?As...
Molecular Biologist - Senior Research Assistant
West London, Permanent
Job Ref Number - SC02
The RoleMy client have a great team consisting of dedicated and able scientists and are looking to hire additional talented Research Assistants to support the development of our DNA sequencing technology.
The role is focused on adapting NGS chemistries to much simpler, targeted workflows than are currently possible: sample in / NGS results out, in a clinically meaningful timeframe.
You will be working in a multi-disciplinary team engaged in developing the company's revolutionary NGS products for point-of-need diagnostic applications. This comprises a mixture of electrical engineering, molecular biology, chemistry, mechanical design, software, bioinformatics and product design.
The successful candidate must demonstrate experience of modifying standard procedures for custom applications, particularly relating to sequencing library and template preparation. Experience with solid-phase PCR assay development is highly desirable.
You will draw on your past experience of molecular diagnostic and NGS platforms to assist with the development and integration of modules of a novel nucleic acid analysis platform. It is essential that you can quickly understand the challenges involved in the optimisation of key workflow components, and contribute to their solutions.
You will be tasked with:
- Supporting technology development, including development of molecular biology and biochemistry modules and transfer to cartridge-based workflow
- Routine testing, debugging and maintenance of laboratory equipment
- Generation of data to support key business decisions
- Effective management of required documentation in accordance with ISO 13485 certified quality management system
- Maintaining in-house bacterial and nucleic acid stocks, including culturing organisms as required and performing DNA extraction.
It is essential that you do not think of your development work in isolation, but rather enjoy communicating, identifying and solving problems collaboratively with colleagues outside of their immediate area of expertise
A multidisciplinary mindset is crucial, as communication with a variety of individuals from a diverse range of backgrounds with be required. Any previous experience with electronic and mechanical engineering, microfluidics and/or industrial design would be beneficial.
We are looking for people with drive and enthusiasm; who want their innovation and hard work to contribute to the creation of a paradigm shift in clinical care. You will strive for exceptional results, in a fast-paced environment.
Qualifications & Experience
- BSc, MSc in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Biomedical, or related discipline.
- Assay development experience based on PCR or NGS based analysis systems.
- Knowledge and hands-on experience of NGS workflows
- Pragmatic, with excellent problem solving and analytical capacity.
- Great administrative, organisational, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Responds positively to intellectual and time challenges
- Familiarity with standard molecular biology techniques such as qPCR, including primer design.
- Experience with microbiology techniques, including bacterial and fungal culture and nucleic acid extraction techniques.
- Workflow development experience of IVD or NGS system, ideally contributing to the design of novel assays or the customization of standard protocols
- Experience working with semiconductor-based technology for detection of nucleic acid amplification and/or sequencing reactions
- Nucleic acid immobilisation and solid-phase amplification experience.
- Experience with isothermal amplification mechanisms
- Effective working in a multidisciplinary team
- Microfluidics, cartridge or instrument development experience
- Experience of cancer diagnostics or NGS sequencing applied to oncology
- Experience of developing IVD or NGS product would be highly beneficial
- Experience working with Biosafety Category 2 certified microorganisms
The role is based in West London, UK
If you believe you meet the above criteria and would relish playing a key role in developing a revolutionary technology, we would be delighted to hear from you. They offer a competitive compensation package to successful candidates.
The recruiter has stated that all applicants for this job should be able to prove they are legally entitled to work in the UK. SRG is a trading name of Science Recruitment Group Ltd an Employment Business/Agency.