Product Development Scientists Formulation & DevicePermanent & 12 month FTC vacanciesBased in Southampton, UKSRG are currently recruiting on behalf of a marketing leading, multi-national FMCG...
Director of Medicinal Chemistry: Salisbury, UK
SRG Premium is delighted to be working as exclusive recuitment partner to Kalvista Pharmaceuticals for the recruitment of a Director, Medicinal Chemistry!
KalVista Pharmaceuticals Ltd (see http://www.kalvista.com) is a fully integrated drug discovery and development operation based within a world class Life Sciences research environment. It is focused on the development of novel small molecule protease inhibitors.
We are looking for a highly motivated Medicinal Chemist with a PhD in synthetic organic or medicinal chemistry, with subsequent experience in the Biotech industry. Whilst you may still be primarily laboratory-based or have recently transitioned into a non-lab role, you will have had experience leading medicinal chemistry projects and teams. The position combines hands-on bench chemistry plus management and leadership responsibilities, providing ample room for career advancement and growth. You will need to be able to confidently and enthusiastically present chemistry strategy to both chemist and non-chemist audiences including senior management, Board members, collaborators and potential business partners.
Work will focus on hit validation and hit to lead chemistry, to identify leads demonstrating appropriate pharmaceutical properties and efficacy in pre-clinical models of disease. The appointee will co-ordinate the work of a team of chemists, will manage outsourcing, and will be responsible for interactions with collaborators.
- Lead a team of medicinal chemists
- Work within interdisciplinary teams and actively contribute to drug discovery projects at all stages including early development
- Lead hit validation, hits-to-lead and lead optimisation chemistry projects, to identify leads demonstrating appropriate pharmaceutical properties and efficacy in disease models
- Oversee outsourced chemistry
Knowledge, qualifications, skills and experience:
- Candidates must be professionally qualified with a PhD in a medicinal chemistry related discipline
- High-level experience and background (>15 years) in Biotech or CRO preferably, or Pharmaceutical industry.
- Experience in managing projects and people are essential.
- Experience in Protease chemistry is desirable.
- Experience of managing collaborations is preferred.
- Understanding and appreciation of pharmacology, metabolism, pharmaceutics and pharmacokinetics, toxicology, necessary for the lead optimisation processes.
- Expertise in synthetic organic chemistry route design.
- Strong interpersonal, communication and presentation skills
- Demonstrate initiative, with good time management and organisational skills.
This is a unique opportunity to become part of a successful biotech and contribute to all aspects of the business.
The position is also conditional on the candidate obtaining unrestricted UK (Dstl) security clearance.
For more information or to apply contact Gemma Adamante, Consultant, on 07880 024483 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
The recruiter has stated that all applicants for this job should be able to prove they are legally entitled to work in the UK. SRG is a trading name of Science Recruitment Group Ltd an Employment Business/Agency.