Oval have a vacancy for a Junior Scientific Officer starting Summer 2019 in Cambridge, UK.
This is an exciting opportunity to take a ‘hands-on’ technical role in a friendly and fast-moving Cambridge-based start-up company and to contribute directly to the development of a leading-edge novel technology.
It is expected that students will take a full and active role in our project teams and will have the opportunity to make significant contributions to the development of our novel drug delivery technologies.
Job Title: Junior Scientific Officer
Reports to: Senior Scientific Officer or Scientific Officer
Location: Unit 23, Cambridge Science Park. Cambridge, CB4 0EY
- Support the development and testing of its novel autoinjector technology and testing of novel autoinjector technologies through laboratory-based work and general engineering support activities.
- Research into and early-stage development of parenteral drug formulations.
- Development and execution of test programmes, procedures and processes.
Overview of Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Testing materials, parts and drug formulations within Oval’s laboratory and workshop facilities.
- Work alongside existing team of engineers and scientists to:
- Operate inspection equipment, mechanical rigs, manufacturing equipment.
- Operate analytical equipment including HPLC, UV/vis spectroscopy, rheometer.
- Identify and characterise anatomy and drug delivery sites with ultrasound or CT scans.
- Execute test programmes, follow and support the writing of test procedures and test reports.
- Contribute to brainstorms and team meetings.
- Source components, equipment and consumables and work with external suppliers and subcontractors to ensure test work and laboratory work runs smoothly.
- Source appropriate reagents to produce development drug formulations to facilitate device development.
- Use and support company IT systems and equipment software.
- Work with and support quality and safe working practice procedures.Any other appropriate duties relevant to the success of the company.
Oval are looking for self-motivated, proactive and creative students with a desire to learn and a willingness to take on challenges outside of their comfort zone.
- Self-motivated, energetic and positive nature
- CreativeOpen, honest, inclusive, personable
- Adaptable, resourceful and creative
- A team player with good interpersonal and communication skills
- Thrives in an open and less structured environment
- A desire to learn and a willingness to take on challenges
- Able to travel if, and when, required
Experience/Skills Required to Fulfil the Role:
Completion of 2 years of a recognised degree course. This role would be most suited, but not limited to students on the following courses:
- Chemical Engineering
- Biochemistry/Biomedical Science
- Materials Science
- Natural Sciences
- Pharmaceutical Science
Qualifications Required: As per entry requirements for relevant degree courses.
Role interface with other departments/communication:
- Liaise with all internal functions and personnel.
- Present to appropriate business and technical audiences as necessary.
- Some travel may be necessary as appropriate to project requirements.
Salary: £18,500 p.a.
How to Apply:
Please write a short paragraph (100-200 words max.) answering the following question, and send this along with your CV/Cover Letter to OvalMedical@SRG.co.uk
“How could new drug delivery technologies improve the lives of patients over the next 5, 15 and 30 years?”
Application Deadline: 28th January 2019.
Interviews to be conducted from Mid-February 2019.
If you would like more information in the meantime or would like support with your application then please contact the SRG Recruitment Team on firstname.lastname@example.org or 01223 234768 (office open hours are from 8.30am to 5.30pm)