Senior Design Engineer Medical devices Manchester Permanent £CompSRG are working with a well-established and highly interesting client who develop medical device diagnostic systems use to...
Development Engineer - Cartridge and instrument Design
Salary: £30,000 - £35,000
Posted on: 27th February 2018
Closing date: 26th March 2018
The inventors of semiconductor-based next-generation sequencing (NGS) technology, are developing a revolutionary new platform that enables NGS-based diagnostic capability in an easy to use, cartridge-based system that will allow direct from clinical specimen to clinically relevant, actionable results in a matter of hours.
My client is currently looking to hire additional outstanding engineering talent to join the existing multi-disciplinary NGS platform development team, filling key roles in the rapidly expanding program. The specific role described here is development engineer for the cartridge and the instrument subsystems of the NGS workflow.
The successful candidate will be responsible for and involved in the design and hands-on development of consumable, complex micro-fluidic devices and associated instrumentation in order to integrate the chemistry workflow of an NGS platform. The candidate will create test coupons and test fixtures at feasibility stage to support the development activities in the Chemistry Workflow and Integrated Circuit Groups. The candidate will generate design concepts and make or have parts manufactured for test. The candidate will take the designs and develop them through feasibility to verified product solutions.
The development engineer will contribute to the development of a commercial, integrated diagnostic device, including the required documentation in accordance with ISO 13485 certified quality management system, reporting (both written and verbal) and successful completion of deliverables in a timely manner. The development engineer will also be a creative individual who is comfortable contributing to multi-disciplinary teams of scientists and engineers, is commercially aware, and uses strong technical expertise to liaise with internal and external customers as well as international suppliers.
As a development engineer, your activities in general will be:
- Conceive and design systems, components and processes to meet user needs and product requirements from internal and external customers
- Identify, formulate and produce effective solutions to emerging problems
- Manufacture parts for testing ideas
- Conduct experiments methodically, analyse data, interpret results and form conclusions
- Test and evaluate theoretical designs
We are looking for people with drive, enthusiasm and a strong work ethic who desire to play a key role in the creation of a paradigm shifting platform that will have major impact on the health and wellbeing of patients around the world. The successful candidate must have the ability to deliver effective solutions to challenging problems in a fast-paced environment with adherence to tight timelines.
Further, the successful candidate must be a team player who interacts well with a variety of colleagues within and outside their area of expertise, manages team members effectively, is a strong and proactive communicator and is willing to step in and take on additional responsibilities as they arise, even those outside the normal scope of responsibilities, in order to help achieve timely success of the project.
Qualifications & Experience Required:
- BEng or higher degree in biomedical engineering, with knowledge of mechanics, electrical engineering, analytics and exposure to life sciences.
- Demonstrable commercial experience in a new product development environment for IVD devices within the field of next generation sequencing, with focus on mechanical design and engineering, microfluidics, materials, automation and instrumentation design.
- Practical experience of semi-conductor based ISFET signal detection applied to NGS biological assays.
- Experience with 2D and 3D engineering design and manufacturing tools (specifically SolidWorks 2016)
- Practical experience with design for manufacture and assembly, with particular experience in design of plastic parts and consumables/ cartridges and understanding of a wide variety of manufacturing processes.
- Proven ability to operate and practical experience with CNC milling, rapid prototyping techniques (3D printing), laser cutting, plastic bonding techniques.
- Experience with planning and performing scientific experiments to verify and validate design decisions.
- Experience of design and testing of sealed fluidic plastic parts for demanding thermal applications (e.g. PCR thermocycling).
- Knowledge of and experience with mathematical computing and analysis tools [Matlab, Excel, LabView, FEA (Finite Element Analysis), etc.]
- Knowledge of, and ability to write machine programs using scripting languages (specifically Lua) and feedback loop control applied to instruments.
- Experience with technical QC documentation and working in an ISO 13485:2012 regulated organization.
- Ability to communicate technical knowledge in a clear and understandable manner
- Understanding of and experience with material interactions with molecular biological assays
- Knowledge of change control processes and good practices
Location: My client is based in West London at White City, London, UK
Apply: If you believe you meet the above criteria and would relish playing a key role in developing a revolutionary technology, we would be delighted to hear from you.
We offer a competitive compensation package to successful candidates.
Please apply online with your CV and covering letter
The recruiter has stated that all applicants for this job should be able to prove they are legally entitled to work in the UK. SRG is a trading name of Science Recruitment Group Ltd an Employment Business/Agency.