Production Scientist (Molecular Biology)Do you hold a degree in a Biological Science coupled with some industry exposure, and looking for an opportunity to join a...
Senior Scientist, Sequencing (NGS)
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Do you have experience developing chemistries/enzyme activities associated with NGS methods, particularly with regards to sequencing reaction chemistries?
Would you like to work with a cutting edge Med Tech company?
My client, the inventors of semiconductor-based next-generation sequencing (NGS) technology, are developing a revolutionary new NGS-based diagnostic platform in an easy-to-use, cartridge-based system designed to generate a clinically actionable result direct from clinical specimen, in a matter of hours. They are currently looking to hire outstanding scientific talent to join the multi-disciplinary NGS platform development team, filling key roles in the rapidly expanding program. The specific role described here is for a Senior Scientist within the sequencing subsystem team.
The successful candidate will be a senior member of the NGS Sequencing Team, reporting to the Subsystem Lead and responsible for a subset of the team deliverables, comprising technology development of a massively parallel sequencing process, performed on an integrated circuit (chip). The on-chip process must be compatible with cartridge-based automation and performance must meet the demanding requirements of the novel DNAe NGS platform.
Senior Scientists are also responsible for proactive interaction with other subsystems (including cartridge, instrument and integrated circuit) and system teams to ensure effective communication, proper alignment of input/output requirements and successful development and integration of the sequencing protocol and chemistries into the automated platform process workflow.
Specific responsibilities of the Senior Scientist include;
- Design, execution, and oversight of laboratory experiments, in-depth analysis and reporting of resulting data
- Literature (including patent) work to support development of the technology
- Participation in the integration of the technology into the automated platform, including transfer of chemistry to a cartridge-based format.
- Generation and management of all required documentation and presentation of results
We are looking for people with drive, enthusiasm and a strong work ethic who desire to play a key role in the creation of a paradigm shifting platform, that will have major impact on the health and well-being of patients around the world.
The successful candidate must have the ability to deliver effective solutions to challenging problems in a fast-paced environment with adherence to tight timelines.
The successful candidate must be a team player who interacts well with a variety of colleagues within and outside their area of expertise, manages direct reports effectively, is a strong and proactive communicator and is willing to step in and take on additional responsibilities as they arise, even those outside the normal scope of responsibilities, in order to help achieve timely success of the project.
Required Skills & Experience
- PhD (preferred) or MSc in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology or related field
- Detailed knowledge of chemistries/enzyme activities associated with NGS methods, particularly with regards to sequencing reaction chemistries.
- Industry experience in the development of molecular diagnostic products for commercially relevant applications.
- Experience with primary sequence data analysis, including quality metric analysis, from NGS platforms.
Desirable Skills & Experience
- Experience in development of workflows, chemistries, and methods specifically for semiconductor-based NGS.
- Experience interacting with disciplines that may be outside of the candidate's area of expertise, such as engineering, software development and bioinformatics.
- Understanding of surface chemistry and surface functionalisation, specifically with regards to oligonucleotide immobilization.
- Experience with nucleic acid amplification (PCR and non-PCR, including isothermal), including clonal amplification methods.
- Industry experience in the development of molecular IVD technology and products for commercially relevant applications.
- Experience integrating assay chemistries onto automated platforms, especially cartridge based systems.
- Demonstrable creativity and innovation, ideally evidenced by patent filings and relevant publications.
If you believe you meet the above criteria and would relish playing a key role in developing a revolutionary technology, we would be delighted to hear from you. My client offers a competitive compensation package to successful candidates.
Key Words "NGS, Next-Generation Sequencing, massively parallel sequencing, PCR, Clonal Amplification, IVD, Molecular Diagnostics, Senior Scientist, Senior Research Scientist, Product Development, Nucleic Acid, microfluidics, pcr assay"
Please apply online or call Neil Walton on 02030964706
The recruiter has stated that all applicants for this job should be able to prove they are legally entitled to work in the UK. SRG is a trading name of Science Recruitment Group Ltd an Employment Business/Agency.