Microbiology Lab Technician required, based in Lancashire. Requiring practical experience of microbiological techniques from either a university or working lab environment.
Title: Microbiology Lab Technician
Salary: £18,000 per annum
SRG is working exclusively with a company who specialising in the development of hygiene chemicals for a range of industries and environments. As a result their continued growth and site expansion, they are now looking for a Microbiology Lab Technician to join the team. The role will involve supporting the microbiologists with lab housekeeping, calibrations, standard testing techniques and media preparation. This would be an excellent opportunity for perhaps a graduate of Microbiology (or similar degree with significant large microbiology content) or an individual with some previous experience of using practical microbiological techniques.
Benefits: Well-established, growing company offering a genuine opportunity to build on basic microbiology skills and learn in a modern, working lab. 20 day holiday allowance, plus 8 statutory days, company pension scheme, life assurance, attendance reward scheme and on-site canteen. 37.5 working hours per week, 8.30 - 4.45pm, Monday to Friday - flexible start and finish times.
Role / Description
- Assisting microbiologists and media technician
- Carrying out identification of bacteria using gram staining, API kits and completing relevant records
- Using culturing techniques e.g. for preparing working cultures
- Carrying out daily equipment checks and temperature profiling when required.
- Using equipment for sterilization and making relevant records of parameters.
- Carrying out equipment calibration, recording accurate readings
- Washing and preparing glassware for sterilisation
- Preparing and performing quality control on media according to procedures
- Carry out sampling of raw materials and water used to prepare products.
- Swabbing of manufacture equipment for testing
- Maintaining accurate records of work and testing
- Previous practical experience of using microbiological techniques in a university or working laboratory setting, e.g. aseptic techniques, gram staining, culture countinG
- Educated to minimum A Level (or equivalent) standard
- Genuine interest in and passion for microbiology
- Good communication skills
- Able to use initiative and take proactive action
This role would be an excellent opportunity for an individual with practical microbiology skills gained from industrial experience or university.
SRG is the UK's number one recruitment company specialising in the scientific, engineering, clinical, pharmaceutical, food/FMCG, energy & renewables, biotech, chemical and medical device sectors.
As scientists ourselves, our specialist sector knowledge and our passion are second to none. It's this combination that makes us different. We're committed to providing outstanding temporary, contract and permanent career opportunities of all levels for our candidates and a comprehensive range of expert strategic recruitment services for our clients.
If you would like to apply for this position, please use the link provided. Alternatively please email a copy of your CV For more information regarding this position or any others, please call Jenni on 0161 868 2222
If you have a scientific background and this position is not relevant / suitable for you, please feel free to get in touch or visit www.srg.co.uk to view our other vacancies.
Keywords: microbiology, microbiologist, testing, gram staining, culturing, culture counting, media, media preparation, aseptic technique, hygiene, janitorial, veterinary, pharmaceuticals, consumer goods, food, FMCG, TVC, cosmetic, cosmetics, detergent, surfactant, biocide, biocidal, QA , QC, personal care, skin care, body care, disinfectant, cleaning products, BSc, A level
The recruiter has stated that all applicants for this job should be able to prove they are legally entitled to work in the UK. SRG is a trading name of Science Recruitment Group Ltd an Employment Business/Agency.