Senior Scientist, Clonal Amplification
Salary Commensurate with Experience
My client, the inventors of semiconductor-based next-generation sequencing (NGS) technology, are developing a revolutionary new NGS-based diagnostic platform in an easy-to-use, cartridge-based system designed to generate a clinically actionable result direct from clinical specimen, in a matter of hours.
They are looking to hire outstanding scientific talent to join the multi-disciplinary NGS platform development team, filling key roles in the rapidly expanding program. The specific role described here is for a Senior Scientist within the Clonal Amplification subsystem.
You will be a senior member of the NGS Clonal Amplification Team, reporting to the Subsystem Lead and responsible for a subset of the team deliverables, comprising technology development of clonal DNA amplification performed on an integrated circuit (chip). The on-chip process must be compatible with cartridge-based automation and performance must meet the demanding requirements of the novel NGS platform. Senior Scientists are also responsible for proactive interaction with other subsystems (including cartridge, instrument and integrated circuit) and system teams to ensure effective communication, proper alignment of input/output requirements and successful development and integration of the sequencing protocol and chemistries into the automated platform process workflow.Specific responsibilities include:
- Design, execution and oversight of laboratory experiments, in-depth analysis and reporting of resulting data.
- Literature (including patent) work to support development of the technology .
- Participation in the integration of the technology into the automated platform, including transfer of chemistry to a cartridge-based format.
- Generation and management of all required documentation and presentation of results.
We are looking for people with drive, enthusiasm and a strong work ethic who desire to play a key role in the creation of a paradigm shifting platform, that will have major impact on the health and wellbeing of patients around the world. The successful candidate must have the ability to deliver effective solutions to challenging problems in a fast-paced environment with adherence to tight timelines. The successful candidate must be a team player who interacts well with a variety of colleagues within and outside their area of expertise, manages direct reports effectively, is a strong and proactive communicator and is willing to step in and take on additional responsibilities as they arise, even those outside the normal scope of responsibilities, in order to help achieve timely success of the project.Required
- MSc or PhD in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology or related field.
- Knowledge of NGS workflows.
- Broad development and/ or experience of molecular analysis technologies.
- Innovative and pragmatic, with excellent problem solving and analytical capacity.
- Great administrative, organisational, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Responds positively to intellectual and time challenges.
- Strong experience in the development of molecular diagnostic products or technology for commercially relevant applications.
- PhD in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology or related field.
- Customisation of workflow elements.
- Experience with nucleic acid amplification (PCR and non-PCR, including isothermal).
- Nucleic acid immobilisation and solid-phase amplification experience.
- Workflow development experience of IVD or NGS system.
- Microfluidics, cartridge or instrument development experience.
- Experience interacting with disciplines that may be outside of the candidate's area of expertise, such as engineering, software development and bioinformatics.
- Experience integrating assay chemistries onto automated platforms, especially cartridge-based systems.
- Demonstrable creativity and innovation, ideally evidenced by patent filings and relevant publications.
To be considered for this role, please apply online or call Neil Walton on 0203 0964706
The recruiter has stated that all applicants for this job should be able to prove they are legally entitled to work in the UK. SRG is a trading name of Science Recruitment Group Ltd an Employment Business/Agency.