Engineering Support Officer- QualityLocation- GrangemouthSalary- Competitive and excellent benefits on offerSRG are working with a global life science organisation who are going through an exciting...
Deputy Laboratory Health and Safety Manager
6 month contract (likely extension)
Do you have a background in laboratory health and safety?
Would you like to work for a leading Research Organisation in the London area?
My client are a world renowned research organisation employing some of the most talented scientists from around the world. They are looking to hire an experienced Health & Safety Scientist.
The Deputy Laboratory Health and Safety Manager will contribute to the planning, organisation, administration and safety management across a number of Research laboratories. The job includes responsibility for health and safety issues and estates management as well as ensuring that laboratory safety procedures adhere to best practice and that laboratory areas are maintained in accordance with HSE / company guidance. As a key member of the management team you will promote a positive Health and Safety atmosphere within the laboratories.
Specific Areas of Responsibility will include;
- Ensure Compliance with H&S Legal Obligations, act as a source of advice and information to all Institute Staff on H&S.
- Act as Deputy Unit Safety Co-coordinator ensuring compliance with all aspects of current legislation, giving advice on the principles of COSHH and guidance on the completion of suitable and sufficient risk assessments for work with biological agents
- Maintain a system for recording, reporting and investigating injuries, accidents and dangerous occurrences. Provide statistical summaries to Management and draw attention to significant trends and occurrences
- Provide co-ordination of training and registration of all Containment Level 3 (CL3) workers and monitor working practices at CL3 level
- Conduct safety inspections of laboratories presenting recommendations and ensuring completion of actions. For CL3 and CL2 and Biological Support Facilities.
- Active membership of the Health & Safety committee, acting as secretary.
- Control the waste management system to ensure safe disposal of waste, including biological, GM and chemical waste. Manage the receipt, use and disposal of CL3 waste.
- Conduct DSE, manual handling, pregnancy and ergonomic risk assessments and maintain records
- Deal with issues arising as and when they occur, ensuring that they are reported and remedial action completed. This includes facilities and laboratory safety issues.
- Provide support to arranging shipments of infectious and hazardous items in line with IATA guidelines and UK law
To be considered for the role you'll need the following skills and experience;
- Demonstrable knowledge of current safety legislation relating to human pathogens, genetic manipulation and COSHH risk assessments and awareness of advisory bodies.
- Working experience at containment level 2 and containment level 3.
- Understanding of general laboratory equipment and facilities maintenance requirements
- Ability to prioritise and organise own work load, and to delegate effectively
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Good organisational skills and the ability to follow up tasks to ensure they are completed
- Ability to communicate with a wide range of people at varied levels and manage conflict.
- A NEBOSH or other similar qualification would be an advantage but is not essential
Key Words (NEBOSH, Pathogen, Microbiology, Research, R&D, lab technician, lab manager, laboratory manager, COSHH, Risk Assessment, Biosecurity"
Please apply online or call Neil Walton on 02030964706.
The recruiter has stated that all applicants for this job should be able to prove they are legally entitled to work in the UK. SRG is a trading name of Science Recruitment Group Ltd an Employment Business/Agency.