Analytical Chemist / Technician Berkshire£21,000 £24,000 (Commensurate with experience) + Excellent Benefits6 12 month contract initially Do you have experience in a chemical laboratory? ...
Technical Assessment Chemist (Hazardous Waste)
Contact Andrew: 0121 728 8456
This role is primarily concerned with maintaining and developing customer relations externally and internally to maximise waste inputs into a network of transfer stations and treatment plants. You will work closely with the commercial team and senior leadership to ensure that these facilities achieve their budgeted financial targets. Working closely with the site operations to ensure that compliance and safety controls are adhered to, thus providing and delivering the highest customer service standards possible. Paramount to the role is that waste is assessed to be handled in an appropriate manner ensuring health, safety and environmental compliance are met at all times. Issue of quotations for multiple services across the hazardous waste network and provide technical assistance and guidance on all relevant/current legislation as appropriate i.e. Duty of Care, Hazardous Waste regulations and the Carriage of Dangerous Goods.
- To assess technical waste enquiries for acceptance into all hazardous treatment and transfer facilities and thereby, to ensure that waste streams being assessed comply with the Permit and any relevant pre-acceptance criteria.
- Working closely with operational staff to assess whether provisions can be made to accept more complex waste streams and planning their acceptance.
- Providing necessary information to the site operations team to be able to accept pre-booked wastes in an accurate and timely manner.
- To identify the relevant assessment criteria for samples and advise both internal and external laboratories and to interpret the resultant data.
- To assess technical wastes for transport on the Haz Waste Packaged Goods and Bulk fleets and thereby, to manage the production of compliant transport paperwork, avoiding the imposition of fines, compliance points (permit and O licence) and the threat of prosecution.
- To manage the processing and rectification of Haz Waste operational Non-Conformances, ensuring that responsibilities for actions are apportioned, that learning opportunities are secured, that actions are tracked and that the possibility of any customers incurring enforcement action is minimised.
- Science Degree (chemistry, forensic science or similar)
- Experience of customer facing roles
- Working knowledge of the waste management industry (desirable)
- IT literate - proficient in using Microsoft Office software
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal
- Effective time management skills
- Ability to work effectively unsupervised
- Ability to deal with conflict and negotiate / manage the appropriate outcome
- Organised with the ability to simplify complex issues
- Analytical; data driven decision making
- Full, clean UK Driving Licence - willingness to travel within the UK for business meetings and project work at other locations
The recruiter has stated that all applicants for this job should be able to prove they are legally entitled to work in the UK. SRG is a trading name of Science Recruitment Group Ltd an Employment Business/Agency.