A well-established contract testing organisation based in South Oxfordshire is recruiting for a Laboratory Analyst to join their busy Technical Team. This is a permanent...
Temp or Perm (dependent on candidate and circumstance)
The position entails the analysis of drugs of abuse in biological samples to be conducted by either immunoassay, or confirmatory techniques (such as GC/MS, LC/MS HRAM), or by a combination of both immunoassay and confirmatory techniques.
The goal of the Senior Analyst is to ensure that all laboratory based results are accurate and timely and are entered into a Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) in order that they can be delivered to customers within agreed timeframes or, in the case of some screening results, in order that the confirmatory process can be triggered. Chain of Custody procedures should be adhered to at all times to preserve the integrity of the sample.
- Undertake the day to day work programme in the laboratory to agreed deadlines and quality standards
- Ensure that analysis is completed and results are ready to be reviewed within agreed deadlines
- Second review of confirmatory data/review of non-conforming work
- Actively assist the Screening/Confirmation Manager in organising, prioritising and planning the day-to-day work programme and longer term development projects in the laboratory to agreed deadline and quality standards
- Detailed maintenance, calibration and 'trouble shooting' of analytical instruments
- Investigation of analytical errors
- Support the maintenance of quality standards by running the appropriate internal QA/QC samples and to trend review and monitor performance of quality standards. Acts on outcomes of reviews to ensure integrity of data produced during the analytical process
- Adherence to quality systems, including review and amendment of relevant SOPS as necessary
- Act as 'champion' of the importance of quality in the laboratory
- Assist in the preparation of reagents, calibration standards and control materials in accordance with relevant SOPs and logged within the appropriate logs
- Stock control and ordering to ensure adequate levels of 'in-date' reagents, chemicals and consumables, enabling monitoring of laboratory budgets, and to be able to explain purchases if asked to do so by accounts
- Assist with the training of Analysts, Trainee Analysts and Laboratory Assistants
- Continuous Improvement - to drive the improvement of existing analytical methods and the development of new methods as and when the need arises.
- Laboratory cleanliness and maintenance of a safe and pleasant work environment
- Carry out tasks as directed by the Screening/Confirmation Manager and to feedback any problems, working to assist in their resolution
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS | EDUCATION:
- Must have an appropriate science degree or comparable experience.
- Previous experience in a laboratory environment.
- Use of the above techniques
- Aptitude for problem solving with a keen interest in process improvement in method development, lab processes and quality, demonstrable experience preferred
- Shows accountability and demonstrates ownership of their world
- May hold additional responsibilities as a champion for- business, implementation, quality H&S, training
- Good team worker, both with direct peers and within the wider organisation, the individual is also able to perform well individually to bring benefit to the business.
- Resilient manner, capable of working in a fast moving and busy environment
- Excellent attention to detail
- Self-motivated individual who is dynamic and tenacious
- Works flexibly and well under pressure
- Able to take ownership of own work, and an awareness of when to solve a problem themselves or to ask their manager for help
- Takes pride in work
The recruiter has stated that all applicants for this job should be able to prove they are legally entitled to work in the UK. SRG is a trading name of Science Recruitment Group Ltd an Employment Business/Agency.