Research Scientist Protein / Antibody analysisRole Type: PermanentSalary: Dependent on Experience/Level of role circa £35KSkills: Protein and Antibody Analysis, UPLC, Antibody, analytical scienceMy client based...
Research Scientist - Protein / Antibody analysis
Role Type: Permanent
Salary: Dependent on Experience/Level of role - 27,000-34,000
Skills: Protein and Antibody Analysis, HPLC, Antibody, Protein science, cell culture
My client based in the Cambridge area works within antibody based therapeutics and is currently seeking a candidate to work in the Protein Science group.
With a background in protein or antibody therapeutics, you will have proven expertise of working in the laboratory with such molecules and producing results to advance therapeutics findings.
Your responsibilities will be:
- Clone, express and purify Affimers for protein characterisation work, binding studies and stability testing using a range of different expression platforms (bacterial, yeast, mammalian cells e.g. CHO/HEK). Maintain and establish mammalian cell lines required for production
- Clone, express, purify and characterise recombinant antigen proteins to be used in phage screens from a range of expression platforms and fully characterise them using a range of methods (HPLC, SDS-PAGE, western blot, ELISA, IEF, BIAcore etc).
- Carry out optimisation studies to increase Affimer production from host cells and develop R&D projects to improve the affimer platform for therapeutic development
- Produce high quality Affimer/formatted Affimers and tool molecules for pre-clinical studies, delivering within timelines for the study plan and carry out the QC to deliver the correct specification
- Develop protein purification protocols and processes using conventional chromatography resins to purify gram quantities of Affimer on AKTA systems
- Set up and carry out HPLC based assays to characterise Affimers (e.g. size exclusion, reverse phase chromatography etc.)
Your skills and education will cover:
- An MSc/PhD or equivalent in protein biochemistry, protein engineering or molecular biology
- Significant practical experience of working in a laboratory
- Standard protein production techniques and protein engineering knowledge, including working with a range of protein expression platforms (e.g. bacterial and mammalian)
- Practical knowledge of the AKTA purification platform, Unicorn software and using conventional chromatography resins e.g. HIC, ion exchange, multimodal etc, to build multistage protein purification processes to achieve high recovery and purity yields of product
- Experience with developing a wide range of analytical HPLC based assays for protein characterisation
- Large scale protein production and purification experience
- A good understanding of protein engineering and protein biophysics to investigate structure/functional relationships
This is an excellent opportunity to join a successful company with strategic collaboration with existing manufacturer and strong candidate's progression through the pipeline.
They are based on a science research park on the outskirt of Cambridge offering a short commute from the city of Cambridge by car or train.
If this role is of interest please apply online or for more information contact Dominic Cappell at Dominic.Cappell@srg.co.uk or 01223 607 857